Please support the sponsors who help make the SOAR Feat 2012 Walk n Roll Across the US for Vulnerable Elderly & Caregivers a reality!
CORPORATE, BUSINESS & NON-PROFIT SPONSORS
- AARP North Carolina: Special thanks to Suzanne LaFollette-Black, AARP-NC Associate State Director, for your faith in and support of SOAR Feat 2012. AARP-NC supports the SOAR Feat 2012 Walk n Roll Across the US and its mission to reach, support, and tell the stories of caregivers and their loved ones in rural America. One of the goals of this journey is to let caregivers and seniors know about the resources that are available to them, including AARP’s ‘Decide.Create.Share. Initiative’, which encourages boomer women to think about and plan for their own long-term care. Please check out this initiative and AARP’s family caregiving guide, ‘Prepare to Care’ online at aarp.org.
- Arkansas Cycling & Fitness, North Little Rock, AR: Thanks for getting my 20 year old mountain bike up to speed and the discounted bike gear & comped labor fee!
- Bike Dude, Clovis, NM: Many thanks to Grant McGee, the Bike Dude, for comping the labor on installing handlebar extensions on my bike.
- Carrboro Family Vision, Carrboro, NC: My go-to place for eye exams and eye wear for the last many years. Many thanks to Drs. Chow and Vizithum for the way cool Maui Jim polarized prescription sunglasses that are saving my eyes on this trip and for the discounted prescription glasses. I also so appreciate your matching funds campaign that doubled donations from Carrboro Family Vision’s FB fans during the months of April & May.
- Champion Cycling, Fort Smith, AR: Appreciate the break on bike gear and labor!
- Creative Wellness, East Lansing, MI: Part of my heart still dwells at Creative Wellness, where I worked as a clinical and sports massage therapist for ten years. Co-owners Chris Reay and Irene Savoyat and their staff have built Creative Wellness into Michigan’s Premier Wellness Center. I am so grateful for their support of SOAR Feat 2012!
- D & H RV Center, Apex, NC: We wouldn’t have our Livin Lite (by Camp Lite) all aluminum travel trailer that’s our home away from home on this trip without the generous support of Dave and Todd at D & H RV Center. They helped to make this journey a reality and were SO patient in answering our endless questions about RVing basics.
- ERA Reality, Cary, NC, Terri McCall, Realtor: I’ve been fortunate to work with Terri as both a buyer and seller’s agent and highly recommend her in both roles. Her many years of experience, outstanding communication skills, and commitment to customer service make her outstanding in her field. She helped me find the perfect home that suited both mom and my needs when mom moved to North Carolina to live with me. Thanks for your support of SOAR Feat 2012, Terri!
- Farrell’s Self Storage, Apex, NC: Many thanks to Jim Moore, Manager of Farrel’s Self Storage. Jim and I connected over our shared experiences as caregivers and he kindly helped make SOAR Feat 2012 a reality by discounting storage units to safely store all my possessions.
- Fleet Feet Sports, Carrboro, NC: I greatly appreciate co-owners Brian and Tricia White’s discounting the shoes that are ensuring I don’t have sore feet on the SOAR Feat 2012 walk n roll. I’m especially grateful that they shipped two pairs of my all time favorite Adiddas Glide 4 shoes to me on the road, so I can continue having happy feet.
- 1st Step PRO-WELLNESS: I am honored that 1st Step PRO-WELLNESS feels that SOAR Feat 2012 represents their motto “Everyday Woman Doing Extraordinary Things.” I appreciate their supplying two of their all natural products that I rely on during this trip: coconut water for rehydration and liquid Vitamin B12 for sustaining my energy while walking or cycling 6-8 hours a day.
- Great Outdoor Provision Co., Chapel Hill, NC: Store manager Chad Pickens and Assistant Manager Ann Stuntz are some of the greatest cheerleaders of SOAR Feat 2012. Their store very generously discounted much of the gear that I’m using on the trip and they’ve sent much needed care packages of Nunn electrolyte tablets for rehydration and Smart Wool PhD socks to me along the road.
- J & P Bike Shop, North Little Rock, AR: Many thanks for the discounted bike gear that helped put the roll in walk n roll!
- Signs by Tomorrow, Cary, NC: The “SOARmobile” looks so great, thanks to the wonderful graphics designed by Amanda Constantinides of Amanda C Designs and transformed into the signage expertly applied by Signs by Tomorrow.
- Triangle Acupuncture Clinic, LLC, Chapel Hill, NC: Big time thanks to Chris and Toby Helmstetter, co-owners of Triangle Acupuncture for your generous support of SOAR Feat 2012. Chris and Toby’s expert acupuncture skills have helped me attain and maintain more balanced health over the last several years.
HOMES ON THE ROAD
Many thanks to the following businesses, campgrounds, churches, and RV parks for supporting SOAR Feat 2012by discounted or comped rooms, fees, and/or letting us park in your lots!
- Hampton Inns: Special thanks to our dear friend, Cheryl Eason Walton, of the Hampton Inn in Southport, NC for facilitating deeply discounted or comped stays at Hampton Inns all along the SOAR Feat 2012 route. I so appreciate the following Hampton Inns’ support of SOAR Feat 2012: Hampton Inn Southport, NC; Georgetown, SC; Pawley’s Island, SC; Sumter, SC; Canton, GA; Gadsen, AL; Fort Smith, AR; Norman, OK.
- Heritage Inn & Suites, Amory, MS
- Best Western, Seminole, AR and Moriarty, NM
- KOA, Wilmington, NC
- Briarcliffe RV Resort, Myrtle Beach, SC
- Redstone United Methodist Church, near Jefferson, GA
- Arcade, GA Police Department
- Shoal Creek Baptist Church, Shoal Creek, GA
- Baysprings Motel, Centre, AL
- Cullman Campground, Cullman, AL
- First Free Will Baptist Church, Sulligent, AL
- City of Okolona, MS
- City of Clarendon, AR RV Park
- Downtown Riverside RV Park, North Little Rock, AR
- First Baptist Church, Perryville, AR
- First Assembly of God Church, Greenwood, AR
- Twin Lakes RV Park, Stigler, OK
- Muscle Car Ranch & RV Park, Chickasha, OK
- Lake Chickasha Campground, Verden, OK
- Granite Point RV Resort, Mountain Park, OK
- Oakridge Christian Camp & Retreat Center, Anadarko, OK
- First Baptist Church, Hollis, OK
- Highland RV Park, Tulia, OK
- First United Methodist Church, Farwell, TX
- Traveler’s World Campground, Clovis, NM
- First United Methodist Church, Fort Sumner, NM
- Bel-Air Motel, Vaughn, NM
HOSTS ON THE ROAD
We were so very fortunate to be hosted by Billy “Butch” Spradling of Pontontoc, MS and Jo Ann O’ Quinn and Ken McGraw of Oxford, MS, who opened their hearts and homes and made us feel like family. We so enjoyed our time with you!
EATS ON THE ROAD
Many thanks to the following establishments for all of the wonderful discounted or comped meals along the road:
- Bella Cucina, Southport, NC
- Silverstreet Cafe, Silverstreet, SC
- East Rome Waffle House, Rome, GA (with many thanks to Veronica Jumper of Rome, GA for arranging for our free meal!)
- Sarah’s Cafe, Walnut Grove, AL
- Berkeley Bob’s Coffee House, Cullman, AL
- Friendship Inn Restaurant, Altus, OK
- Restaurant at Hollis Inn, Hollis, OK
CARE FOR OUR CANINE PAL, MOLLY, ON THE ROAD
We hadn’t planned to adopt a dog on this trip, but met Molly, a 12-week old Jack Russell terrier mix in need of a new home when I interviewed a caregiver in Chickasha, OK. Molly’s full-fledged puppy energy made her too much of a dog for the caregiver’s rescued pit bull, named Catfish. Adopting Molly felt right and we’re having a great time traveling the SOAR Feat 2012 route with her. She’s quickly adapted to life on the road and has become quite the little road warrior. We are very grateful to Dr. Jon Henderson of the Anadarko (OK) Veterinary Hospital for discounting Moly’s first well puppy visit, including her vaccinations.